Monday, November 14, 2016

Wildfires

My backyard is hazy and smells like a long burning campfire, smoke from the fires blazing in the nearby mountains is shrouding the area and making it unwise to be outside. 2,200 acres are ablaze just about 45 miles north of me, and beyond that, there are even larger patches of land caught up in wildfire. And while it's terrifying, there is good that comes from the burning of the forest. New life that springs up from the ashes.

 And so it is, that on a day I've been preoccupied with the decimation and the cycles of destruction, death, and rebirth that I came full circle back to blogging. And, as old friends will no doubt notice, a revival of the old blog name.

It's hard to put in to words why I left it and why I came back to it, but I'll try. Because while it doesn't require explanation, it is important to me.

When I shed the old name, I was in a place of tremendous transition. Having just become a mother, battling the fucking demons that are post-partum depression and anxiety, trying to narrow down my creative endeavors in to a polished shiny business, and trying to reclaim some semblance of intimacy and privacy with my readers now that I have this little life to tend to.

There's a lot in a name, even a virtual one. And it seems to me that as I tried on and shed names, I was trying on and shedding labels for myself. I was lost for a bit, undeniably, and searching. And discovering. And what I learned is that shiny and polished isn't for me. I love what I love, and it's not easily marketable and to try to force it to be was stealing my joy in creating. Having a shiny polished name and streamlined creative focus spilled over in to my home life. I've been putting all sorts of things on to big ass pedestals and setting myself up for unhappiness and failure.

So today, on this super giant super moon day, I'm going to burn those towers that I built down. And start over, back at the beginning. I'm going to re-embrace the whimsy, the magic, and the simplicity of life, creativity, spirituality, and all the things.

And of course, because I've so missed writing, I'm going to start writing about any old damn thing again. In this new space that I haven't quite turned in to home yet, because I'm not much chuffed about the quantity of followers, so much as the quality.

I'm back, Witches. *cackle cackle* Make yourselves at home and I'll snazz the place up as life, and a 2 year old, allows. ;)



P.S. My old blog will remain up as an archive, and can be found here

7 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the blog world. It is about time I start really blogging again myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm lovin' this. Welcome back to the beginning again. so cool on this big bright evening. xoxo Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Seems many are returning to their roots. Me included. Missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back Sweetie! It's good to see you =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! Most of North Georgia in on fire. We are covered in smoke. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. blogger doesn't allow me to chance users but it's Andréann. I'm happy you take your old name back, always loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to have you back with a bit of this and a bit of that. You were still bookmarked for me as Whimsical Cottage to hadn't notice the change of name. Yay for the super moon then!

    ReplyDelete